URL Redirect Service
URL Redirect (also known as URL Forwarding is when you want a user accessing your domain name to redirect to a different domain name automatically. In most cases, it is for websites with a single primary domain name and multiple sub-domains. The SharkCDN Domain Redirect Service thus makes it easy to redirect these sub-domains to your desired URL.
Types of URL Redirect
URL Redirect (also known as URL Forwarding) is when you want a user accessing your domain name to redirect to a different domain name automatically. In most cases, it is for websites with a single primary domain name and multiple sub-domains. The SharkCDN Domain Redirect Service thus makes it easy to redirect these sub-domains to your desired URL.
301 (Permanent Redirect)
As a permanent redirect, 301 is only for sites that have permanently moved to a new domain name. For example, to move a website with high search engine rankings and traffic from, example A.sharkcdn.net permanently to B.sharkcdn.net, you can use a 301 redirect.
Users who key in A.sharkcdn.net in their browsers will automatically be redirected to B.sharkcdn.net. The search engine rankings of A.sharkcdn.net will also be transferred to B.sharkcdn.net.
Since the search engine rankings can be quickly and easily transferred to the new domain while transferring traffic at the same time, a 301 redirect is considered the most effective and SEO-friendly way to redirect.
Common 301 redirect situations:
- When your website has moved to a new domain name, and you want the whole process to be seamless.
- When users access your home page through multiple domain names. For instance, if you wish for users accessing the following URLs, http://A.sharkcdn.net/home, http://home.A.sharkcdn.net, http://www.A.sharkcdn.net, and https://www.A.sharkcdn.net to access the same page, simply select your preferred version as the final destination and use 301 redirects on the others to redirect all traffic to that chosen page.
- When you want to merge two or more domain names.
Do note that after setting up a 301 redirect, the search engines will take some time to discover and recognize your new domain name. Thus, the search engine rankings transfer to the new domain name will take effect gradually.
302 (Temporary Redirect)
302 is a temporary redirect used for temporary transfers of websites to other domain names. The search engine rankings will continue to credit to the original domain name instead of the redirected domain name. Users who key in A.sharkcdn.net in their browsers will display the contents of B.sharkcdn.net, at the same time the browser URL will show B.sharkcdn.net.
302 redirect can be applied in the following situations:
- When website A.sharkcdn.net is undergoing maintenance, and you want to transfer traffic to B.sharkcdn.net temporarily.
- When you wish to keep A.sharkcdn.net’s search engine rankings, but at the same time temporarily transfer traffic to other domains.
- When you want to promote the domain name A.sharkcdn.net, but for some reason, you need to put the content on the domain name B.sharkcdn.net temporarily.
A masked redirect is similar to an unmasked redirect, except for the URL shown in the browser. When an unmasked redirect is used, users who key in A.sharkcdn.net in their browsers will see the redirected URL B.sharkcdn.net. But for a masked redirect, the browser URL will still show as A.sharkcdn.net while displaying contents from B.sharkcdn.net. It is important to note that masked redirects are implemented on the server-side using frameset windows. However, some sites do not allow the use of frameset windows. The use of masked redirects is also extremely bad for SEO.
Comparison of Redirect Types
|Redirect Type||User-Entered Domain||Content Displayed||Domain Displayed in Browser||SEO-Optimized Domain|
|Unmasked Redirect||301 (Permanent Redirect)||A.sharkcdn.net||B. sharkcdn.net||B. sharkcdn.net||B. sharkcdn.net|
|302 (Temporary Redirect)||A. sharkcdn.net||B. sharkcdn.net||B. sharkcdn.net||A. sharkcdn.net|
|Masked Redirect||URL frame||A. sharkcdn.net||B. sharkcdn.net||A. sharkcdn.net||Not friendly to SEO|